Who Are We
TLC International Training Center for Caregivers is an accredited private vocational school based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. We train international students to work in Canada as Caregivers. Our caregiver training courseprovides a relaxed and friendly environment in which to study. We provide many other services related to the Caregiver Program, both for caregivers and employers.
About the Caregiver Training Course…
The TLC International: Training for Foreign Caregiver’s study program is a full-time, 6 months, government accredited, training program that prepares you to work for a Canadian family, either as a nanny caring for children or as a caregiver to a senior or to a person with a significant disability.
Instruction includes both theory and hands-on, in-school practice. You learn through lectures, textbooks, audio-visuals, individual and group projects, presentations and class discussions. Assessment and feedback are given on an ongoing basis and, upon completion of the course, you will receive a diploma.
Classes run Monday to Friday from 9am to 3:00pm and the instruction is divided into monthly (rotating) modules allowing you to start the course on the first day of any month and to finish it 6 months later. There are also 3 hour practicum’s each week, which will be scheduled once your program has started.
The training course includes the following modules:
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Developing self-awareness for the role of the Live-in Caregiver
- Health and safety, including St. John Ambulance certification in CPR/First Aid level C
- Care of the elderly (including understanding the aging process, assisting with mobility, personal hygiene, mental health issues, and assisting someone who is dying)
- Disability awareness (developing awareness of the causes and consequences of the accidents and diseases that cause disability and the care that may be required)
- Child development, including understanding childhood in it’s various stages, planning activities for the children of different ages, reading to children, etc.
- Managing children’s behaviour
- Understanding and recognizing abuse
- Household management and taking care of a Canadian home
- Nutrition and food preparation
- Finding employment and applying for a work permit
- An overview of Canadian politics, geography, history and social structure
The tuition fee is $6,500 (Canadian Dollars) a fee which covers the supplies for the weekly cooking class which gives many hours of hands on experience with Canadian Cooking. Tuition includes textbooks and your certification in CPR/First Aid. No money (other than the Letter of Acceptance fee of $300.00 and a Police Record and Vulnerable Sector Check fee of $50.00) can be received by us in advance of a student’s arrival in Canada. Many students like to employ an agent to assist them with making an application for a student visa and other things. We have several good and trustworthy agents we can refer you to. Agent fees will be extra.
TLC International Training Center for Caregiving Inc
10709 107 Street Edmonton Alberta Lower Floor
Welcome to TLC-International Training Center for Caregiving Inc.
Contact Us Today!
Contact us today for more information. We would be happy to answer any questions about our courses or registration process!